Thursday, August 20, 2026

US planning to block Abbas from addressing UN next month, sources tell 'Post' - Amichai Stein, Jerusalem Post Staff

 

by Amichai Stein, Jerusalem Post Staff

One person with knowledge told the Post that Abbas reportedly asked Turkey for help to convince the US to reverse the decision.

 

PALESTINIAN AUTHORITY President Mahmoud Abbas gestures during the 8th General Conference of Fatah in Ramallah in May 2026.
PALESTINIAN AUTHORITY President Mahmoud Abbas gestures during the 8th General Conference of Fatah in Ramallah in May 2026.
(photo credit: MOHAMAD TOROKMAN/REUTERS)

The United States plans to bar Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas from traveling to New York City in September to address the United Nations General Assembly, a source told The Jerusalem Post

Last year, the US denied the visas to Abbas and members of the PA's delegation to attend the assembly.

The source told the Post that PA leaders are trying in every way to reverse the US's decision. The person with knowledge added that Abbas reportedly asked Turkey for help to convince the US to reverse the decision. 

This is a developing story. 


Amichai Stein, Jerusalem Post Staff

Source: https://www.jpost.com/middle-east/article-906166

Follow Middle East and Terrorism on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment