Tuesday, February 17, 2026

US and Iran conclude round of nuclear talks in Geneva as threat of war looms - Reuters, Danielle Greyman-Kennard, James Genn

 

by Reuters, Danielle Greyman-Kennard, James Genn

Araghchi demanded that explicit reference to the possible use of force by the US be brought to an immediate, unconditional end.

 

People carry "Lion and Sun" pre-Iranian Revolution national flags as they gather near the United Nations office, as the second round of nuclear talks between U.S. and Iran takes place, in Geneva, Switzerland, February 17, 2026.
People carry "Lion and Sun" pre-Iranian Revolution national flags as they gather near the United Nations office, as the second round of nuclear talks between U.S. and Iran takes place, in Geneva, Switzerland, February 17, 2026.
(photo credit: REUTERS/PIERRE ALBOUY)

 

The United States and Iran concluded their second round of indirect talks in Geneva on Tuesday over their long-running nuclear dispute, with a senior Iranian official asserting that negotiations hinge on Washington avoiding unrealistic demands as the US masses a battle force in the region.

US envoy Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner took part in the negotiations, which are being mediated by Oman, a source briefed on the matter told Reuters, alongside Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi.

Reuters reported that, according to Araghchi, the initial meetings resulted in "an understanding on main principles" between the US and Iran.

Araghchi also stated that the two parties still have issues to address, but that there have been positive developments compared to the previous round of talks. He also said that both parties would work on potential agreement documents and exchange them, emphasizing that this does not mean that the two countries will reach an agreement soon, but that "the path has started."

Productive discussions were also held with Rafael Grossi, Director General of the International Atomic Energy Agency, Araghchi added.

He also demanded that explicit reference to the possible use of force by the US be brought to an immediate, unconditional end.

An Iranian official told CNN that Iran's delegation will head back to Tehran tonight, now that the talks have concluded.

Iranian dissident media Iran International reported that, as Iran's delegates left the Omani embassy, a group of protesters threw tomatoes at their vehicles and shouted "Death to terrorists."

Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei denounced the US's attempt to limit Iran's nuclear potential in a series of posts on X/Twitter as talks were ongoing, claiming that the nuclear industry is "among the nation's rights."

"Peaceful nuclear industry is not for war; it is for running the country - for agriculture, for treatment and healthcare, and for everything that depends on energy," he wrote. "What does it have to do with you Americans?"

He also made appeals to the International Atomic Energy Agency, stating that nuclear energy is an "undeniable right" contained within the organization's guidelines.

In another post, he argued that attempts to limit Iran's weaponry were "irrational," arguing that "without deterrent weaponry, a country will be crushed by the enemy."

US President Donald Trump said that he would be involved "indirectly" in the Geneva talks and that he believed Tehran wanted to make a deal.

"I don't think they want the consequences of not making a deal," Trump told reporters aboard Air Force One on Monday. "We could have had a deal instead of sending the B-2s in to knock out their nuclear potential. And we had to send the B-2s."

A previous attempt to revive talks was underway in June last year when Israel launched a bombing campaign against Iran, and was then joined by US B-2 bombers that struck nuclear targets. Tehran has since said it has halted uranium enrichment activity.

A senior Iranian official told Reuters on Tuesday that the US's seriousness on lifting sanctions on Iran and avoiding unrealistic demands are key to ensuring effective talks in Geneva.

The official, who declined to be named, said Tehran was coming to the negotiating table with "genuine and constructive proposals."

The meeting took place at the residence of the Omani ambassador to the UN amid a heavy security presence. Some cars with Iranian diplomatic license plates were visible outside.

The US military is preparing for the possibility of weeks of operations against Iran if Trump orders an attack, two US officials told Reuters.

On Monday, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio told a news conference in Budapest that it was hard to do a deal with Iran, but the US was willing to try.

Iran's IRGC Navy launches maritime drill in Strait of Hormuz, one day before US nuclear talks

One day before talks were due to resume, Iran held a military exercise in the Strait of Hormuz, which was an attempt by Tehran to push back against the US, a person familiar with the matter told The Jerusalem Post.

The exercise was reported by Iran’s semi-official Tasnim News Agency, which is affiliated with the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC).

It focused on the regime’s naval forces and was reportedly carried out under the supervision of the IRGC Commander Maj.-Gen. Mohammad Pakpour.

The exercise was aimed at assessing the readiness of Iran’s naval operations units and to review security plans and scenarios for “reciprocal” military action by the IRGC, Tasnim reported.

The Strait of Hormuz is a channel between the Persian Gulf and the Gulf of Oman. It is the only sea passage from the Persian Gulf to the open ocean, making it a strategically important choke point. Iranian hardliners have pushed for the Strait of Hormuz to be blocked in response to growing tensions with Washington.

The force was anticipated to offer a “decisive” response to any “anti-security plots in the maritime domain,” a source affiliated with the IRGC told Tasnim.

The exercise was carried out as Tehran is anticipating potential military action from the US.
Iran has begun efforts to fortify its nuclear facilities, especially those that were damaged during the US airstrikes last June.

Araghchi meets IAEA's Grossi to discuss nuclear talks

Iran's Araghchi on Monday met Rafael Grossi, head of the IAEA in Geneva, to discuss cooperation with the nuclear watchdog and technical aspects of the impending talks with the US.

On Tuesday afternoon, Witkoff and Kushner will participate in three-way talks with Russia and Ukraine as Washington attempts to coax Ukraine and Russia into an agreement to end Moscow's four-year-old invasion of Ukraine, the source said.

On Sunday, Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Majid Takht-Ravanchi told BBC that the "ball" for negotiations was "in America's court to prove that they want to do a deal," and that "If the US is sincere, I'm sure we will be on the road to an agreement."

He also claimed that Tehran had offered to dilute its 60%-enriched uranium to prove its willingness to reach a compromise.

"We are ready to discuss this and other issues related to our program if they are ready to talk about sanctions," he told the British public broadcaster.

He did not reply to a question on whether Iran would agree to ship out its stockpile of highly-enriched uranium out of Iran as it did in 2015, saying it was "too early to say what will happen in the course of negotiations." The Islamic Republic currently holds a stockpile of over 400kg. of highly-enriched uranium per the BBC's report.

"Our understanding is that they have come to the conclusion that if you want to have a deal, you have to focus on the nuclear issue," Takht-Ravanchi said.

"The issue of zero enrichment is not an issue anymore, and as far as Iran is concerned, it is not on the table anymore," the minister claimed.


Reuters, Danielle Greyman-Kennard, James Genn

Source: https://www.jpost.com/international/article-886942

Follow Middle East and Terrorism on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment