Saturday, January 19, 2019

Pressed on Benny Gantz's party platform, campaign has no answers - Assaf Golan


by Assaf Golan

In phone call with Israel Resilience Party election campaign, Israel Hayom tries and fails to learn something, anything, about Gantz's political positions



Israel Resilience Party leader Benny Gantz
Photo: AP 

Since entering politics, former IDF Chief of Staff Benny Gantz has made sure to keep his political beliefs to himself, at least as far as his newly-formed Israel Resilience Party is concerned. Despite being something of an enigma, polls have predicted that Gantz will garner Knesset seats in the double digits in the upcoming April 9 elections.

In a conversation with one of the women answering the phones at Gantz's call center to recruit campaign volunteers, Israel Hayom tried to get an idea of Gantz's platform and when it would be made public.

Q: I studied at a hesder yeshiva, [which combines yeshiva study with shortened military service over five years.] I'm a religious person. And I voted once for the Likud and once for Habayit Hayehudi. I really want to see change on the Israeli political map, but I want to know, what is the party's platform?

"I can't explain the platform because it's something that hasn't been published yet. It exists, but it hasn't been released out of political considerations."

Q: Then how can I know what it is?

"You'll know very soon … "

Q: But I need to know what Benny's opinions are on Judea and Samaria, an agreement with the Palestinians, what kind of compromise he wants, the Golan Heights … He looks like a great guy, IDF chief of staff, a very serious person, but I don't know anything. Who will be in the party with him? Can you tell me?

"I can't tell you that, unfortunately, but you'll know soon. I don't have a date yet. There are also things that are in the making, not everything is final yet."

Q: Look, I've fallen for political parties enough times that …

"And would you like to help out?"

Q: I would very much like to help out.  But I just need to know …

"And if you need to decide between helping out and not helping out? Nevertheless, now you need to decide, what would you …"

Q: Let's say I want to help out. I'm a resident of Lod, and I can influence people in my neighborhood. People will want to know: Where does he stand on social issues? A free market or not? Where does he stand on diplomatic issues?

"Are you familiar with Benny's site? The platform will also appear there down the road, but it's not there now. So in the meantime, I'm writing down that you aren't interested in helping out …"


Assaf Golan

Source: http://www.israelhayom.com/2019/01/18/pressed-on-benny-gantzs-party-platform-campaign-has-no-answers/

Follow Middle East and Terrorism on Twitter



No comments:

Post a Comment