by Discover The Networks
A look at Tim Kaine's track record and agendas.
During his years as a student at Harvard Law School in the early 1980s, Tim Kaine took a year off from his legal studies in order to work with Jesuit missionaries in Honduras. During the nine months he spent there, Kaine developed a keen interest in the teachings of local priests who were adherents of liberation theology, which is essentially Marxism dressed up as Christianity. Kaine himself embraced liberation theology and later claimed that it had “changed” him and “deepened” him.
After completing his legal education, Kaine joined a civil litigation firm and practiced law for 17 years. He also launched a career in local politics in the mid-1990s, and eventually went on to serve as governor of Virginia (2006-10) and as a U.S. senator (2013-present). This past July, Hillary Clinton named Kaine as her vice presidential running mate.
Over the course of his political career, Kaine has developed some noteworthy ties to a number of Islamist individuals and organizations:
- In his role as Virginia's governor in 2007, Kaine appointed Esam Omeish, president of the Muslim Brotherhood-affiliated Muslim American Society (MAS), to Virginia’s Immigration Commission. Omeish had previously served as president of the National Muslim Students Association and as a board member of the Islamic Society of North America, both of which have deep ties to the Brotherhood. Omeish had also been a board chairman of the Islamic Center of Passaic County, a New Jersey mosque with significant terrorist connections. And he had been a vice president and board member of the Dar al-Hijrah Islamic Center, a Virginia mosque whose imams have included, among others, an Al-Qaeda operative and a supporter of suicide bombings. Prior to his appointment by Kaine, Omeish had described the Muslim Brotherhood as a “moderate” organization; he had praised the former Hamas leader Ahmed Yassin as “our beloved Sheikh”; and he had pledged to lend his assistance to those Palestinians who understood that “the jihad way is the way to liberate your land.”
- In May 2007, Kaine was the keynote speaker at the Muslim American Society Freedom Foundation's “Standing for Justice Dinner.”
- In 2010, Kaine agreed to attend the Dar al-Hijrah Islamic Center's annual fundraising banquet.
- In September 2011, Kaine spoke at an event that presented a Lifetime Achievement Award to U.S. Muslim Brotherhood leader Jamal Barzinji, who was closely associated with the Palestinian Islamic Jihad, Hamas, and the extremist International Institute of Islamic Thought (IIIT).
- In 2011-12, Kaine’s U.S. Senate campaign received $4,300 from officials of the Islamic Society of North America and the Council on American-Islamic Relations, plus another $3,500 from IIIT's president-of-finance, Hisham Al-Talib.
In May 2015, Kaine was one of fourteen U.S. senators who wrote a letter to President Barack Obama urging him to allow 65,000 people from war-torn, terrorism-ravaged Syria into the United States as refugees, despite many people's concern that terrorists could potentially infiltrate the refugee program.
Later that same year, Kaine opposed a bill passed by the House of Representatives that would have required more careful vetting of Syrians and Iraqis before they could be admitted to the United States as refugees. “These refugees are people who are terrorized, not terrorists,” Kaine said in a November 2015 interview wherein he claimed that “the refugee vetting process is one of the safest areas that we have.” In a speech on the Senate floor the following month, Kaine said: “I look at this refugee crisis as a test … about whether we, like [the biblical] Job, will be true to our principles or whether we’ll abandon them.” He also urged his fellow legislators to emulate the example of the 17th-century “Indians down near Jamestown Island” who had helped starving English settlers to survive by offering “an extension of a hand to strangers in a strange land.”
Kaine ranks among the most left-wing political figures in the United States today. He is the only person with a 0% Lifetime Rating from the American Conservative Union, which has graded Members of Congress on their voting records each year since 1971. Similarly, ConservativeReview.com gives Kaine a 0% rating.
In short, Tim Kaine is essentially a political mirror image of Hillary Clinton. Mrs. Clinton picked him as her running mate because she saw him as someone who could effectively help her implement a radical leftist agenda.
Discover The Networks
Follow Middle East and Terrorism on Twitter
Copyright - Original materials copyright (c) by the authors.