by Michael Rubin
Any congressman who remains in the “Caucus on U.S. Turkey Relations and Turkish Americans,” is either asleep at the switch or does not mind using their position as a shield for a government that:
- Supports Hamas
- Helps Iran evade sanctions
- Turns a blind eye to jihadis transiting its territory
- Finances and perhaps supplies al-Qaeda affiliates inside Syria
- Peddles cheap anti-American and anti-Semitic conspiracies
- Systematically eviscerates the free press and seeks China-style censorship over the Internet
- Undercuts NATO security by threatening to compromise software to the Chinese
Many congressmen joining the Congressional Turkey Caucus are well-meaning. They may believe Turkey to be a strong ally, a NATO partner, and a force for stability. They are wrong: that was the Turkey of a decade ago, not Turkey today. Given the Pakistani government’s support for terror groups, flirtation with China, and anti-American incitement, few congressmen would affix their names to a Congressional Pakistan Caucus, yet continuing in the Turkey Caucus has the same impact. If congressmen want to support a secular, pro-Western, Muslim majority state that seeks partnership with the United States, they might join the Azerbaijan caucus instead. But to remain in the Turkey Caucus affirms the worst behavior of Erdoğan and his cronies and ultimately undercuts U.S. national security.
Copyright - Original materials copyright (c) by the authors.